I’m sure everyone can agree with me when I say that brownies are awesome. If you don’t, you might want to check to make sure you have a soul. Or that you had a childhood. Just saying.
The thing about brownies is that, well… I don’t really like making them from scratch. It’s fun and all, but I don’t always have cocoa powder around and I don’t use it often enough to really go out and buy a can. Besides, why go through the trouble of making brownies when you can get a giant box of Ghirardelli brownie mix from Costco? Just add milk, oil, milk, eggs, and viola! Tasty goodness. But it’s always good to add a little somethin’-somethin’ to make your brownies just a little more special.
1 box of brownie mix (and the ingredients that it requires)
4 candy canes
1. Make yo mix. Just follow the instructions on the back of your favorite brownie mix box.
2. Put batter into pan. I know. Didn’t see that one coming, did you?
3. So this is where it gets fun. Take your candy canes and break them in half. Place the pieces on a cutting board, then place another cutting board (or a big piece of cardboard or something flat) on top.
4. Hold the top piece in place and take something hard like a hammer or the bottom of a mug and bang away (that’s what she said?).
5. Tada! And you have a bunch of candy cane crumbs!
6. Sprinkle the piece on top. Try to make a nice, even layer, but it’s not like it matters that much. Put your masterpiece in the oven and leave it in for as long as the brownie box says it.
7. Take your brownies out at the allotted time and this is what it should look like. Yep, the candy cane bits melt and turn into delicious minty glaze. I highly recommend that you take a knife and trace the outside of the brownie. If you let it harden without doing that, the glaze will harden and trying to get the brownie out of the pan will be a major pain in the ass. Seriously.